Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Our Sovereign God



We serve a sovereign God. I saw this more clearly than usual yesterday. And yes, this is another personal post. I've been "corrupted."

I woke up at 6:42am. Note: I should have been at work at 6:40am, which usually requires me to be up at 5:00am. Reason for lateness: alarm clock had been reset by a power outage. There was no getting to work on time. So I called Blacksburg Transit (my employer) and told them the story. They said just to try to get there as soon as possible. I cobbled some things together very quickly and rushed out the door.

As it turns out, the reason for the power outage was a power cable draped across the road in the usual catenary shape. At its lowest point, it was waist height. Now if I had been up on time, I might well have driven right into that. I'd need to examine the physics of the situation to see whether I might have been harmed or not, but I think it would not have been good at all. As it was, the utility people and the police were already there and were not allowing vehicles through. So I called BT again and gave them the update. They were understanding, as usual, and told me to be safe. One other person there told me of a back road which was pretty rough but connected with a road that would get me there. So I tried it. I wish I had done so in a Hummer instead of my 1993 Chrysler New Yorker. I prayed! I got through without any noticeable damage to my car, though I bottomed out pretty hard quite a few times.

God was definitely watching over me yesterday, and yet I know that He watches over me at all times, and upholds me by the Word of His power. Praise God from Whom all blessings flow!

In Christ.


 
Visit Math Help Boards for friendly, free and expert math help.

9 Comments:

At 11/02/2006 11:14:00 AM , Blogger Susan said...

Not corrupted. . . you've just become more personable, or something like that ;).

Thank you for sharing this. I love to hear stories like this where God's sovereignty is evident even in daily activities. God was certainly watching over you!

Have you read The Hiding Place? If you haven't, you need to do so! I weep through that book every time. It's a true story, as told by Corrie ten Boom, the main character.

There is one passage particularly that I like. Corrie (the other) and her sister Betsie are awakened during the night from the bombings around them; they live in Holland during the German occupation in WWII. Betsie goes down to make some tea and Corrie hears her and decides to join her. After sharing a cup of tea, Corrie and Betsie return upstairs and Corrie gasps when she finds a long, jagged piece of metal lying on her pillow, apparently from the bombings around them. She turns to Betsie with a look of horror, and says "Betsie, if I hadn't heard you in the kitchen. . . "

Betsie silences her and say, "Don't say it, Corrie! There are no 'if's' in God's world. And no places that are safer than other places. The center of His will is our only safety - O Corrie, let us pray that we may always know it."

Amen.

 
At 11/02/2006 12:54:00 PM , Blogger Susan said...

Oops.

"Corrie (the other)" should read "Corrie (the author)."

:)

 
At 11/03/2006 11:26:00 AM , Blogger Adrian C. Keister said...

Reply to Zan.

You're certainly very welcome.

Reply to Susan.

More personable, eh?

I have read The Hiding Place. It was one of the books we read out loud when we were homeschooling. It is, indeed, a powerful book. Thanks for that quote.

In Christ.

 
At 11/03/2006 10:45:00 PM , Blogger Susan said...

Adrian, we first read The Hiding Place out loud as well. We used to read out loud for an hour every morning to start school.

You haven't read it, Zan? Oh, you must :). I laughed so hard at your comment concerning Adrian maybe even having feelings? Hehe. He is personable in comments when he feels like it, but he does need help on his posts, does he not? ;) He claims it's a "guy thing."

 
At 11/04/2006 07:11:00 PM , Blogger Adrian C. Keister said...

I need help on my posts? Really? I wonder what the BlogPolitzei will come up with next... *grr* Forcing perfectly good blogs to spill all the deepest darkest secrets of their owners out there for all the world to see. *shakes head* I don't know. ;-)]

In Christ.

 
At 11/04/2006 10:39:00 PM , Blogger Susan said...

*rolls eyes* You're overdramatizing this, Adrian. (psst, Zan, see, I think that shows he has feelings of some sort. . . ). No one is asking you to spill your deepest darkest secrets for all the world to see. That's where a private journal is useful, or the listening ear of a friend. You're presenting a false dichotomy, are you not? :)

 
At 11/06/2006 10:25:00 PM , Blogger Susan said...


di‧chot‧o‧my 
–noun, plural -mies.

1. division into two parts, kinds, etc.; subdivision into halves or pairs.
2. division into two mutually exclusive, opposed, or contradictory groups: a dichotomy between thought and action.
3. Botany. a mode of branching by constant forking, as in some stems, in veins of leaves, etc.
4. Astronomy. the phase of the moon or of an inferior planet when half of its disk is visible.


I'll let you choose which definition was the intended one :). In other words, Adrian has presented his blogging choicea as follows: (1) post only impersonal posts or (2) spill all his deepest darkest secrets for all the world to see. I certainly hope there is a nice middle ground for that! That middle ground is my intended blogging style, though whether I succeed, I leave up to my audience ;).

 
At 11/07/2006 09:18:00 PM , Blogger Susan said...

Haha! You're funny, Zan :).

 
At 11/16/2006 01:21:00 PM , Blogger Adrian C. Keister said...

We shall see about middle ground. It's true I have ideas for blog posts; the problem is that I never seem to be around a computer when the idea comes, and then when I do get to a computer, the idea's gone! Pooh. Maybe I should imitate Jonathan Edwards and keep something to write on with me at all times. That might help.

In Christ.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home