Sunday, April 08, 2007

Announcement

An event has occurred recently that probably most of you thought was impossible. Susan Garrison has agreed to marry me. For those of you who know me better than others, and have witnessed some of my previous relationships, this might spell the end of what could have been considered a soap opera. I asked her Monday night, and she obviously accepted. For those of you who are curious, we will not be able to set a date for a while. I rather think Susan might be posting some of those juicy details y'all will want to know.

I would like to share with you some of what I believe God has been teaching me during the last few years. The first thing is that a prudent wife is from the Lord. Finding a good wife is not a matter of luck or circumstance, for we serve a sovereign God. There is no way I could have met Susan and pursued her unless the Lord had opened the doors.

The second thing I believe the Lord taught me is the importance of grace in relationships. Before he gave me permission to court, Susan's father asked me why I thought a relationship with Susan would work, where the previous ones failed. My answer was that of all the ladies I had been interested in, Susan is the most aware of the role grace played in her life. She is saved by grace, and knows it. Therefore, she doesn't have to stand up for herself. Without fear, she can voluntarily put herself under the headship of a sinner like me.

The third and last thing I believe the Lord taught me is about the relation between contentment and God's gifts to us. I would like to quote Carolyn McCulley in her essay, “Sex and the Single Woman,” part of a collection entitled Sex and the Supremacy of Christ, edited by John Piper and Justin Taylor. She writes,

One more thought: I've often heard married people say to singles that we won't get married until we're content in our singleness, but I humbly submit that this is not true. I'm sure that it is offered by well-meaning couples who want to see their single friends happy and content in God's provision, but it creates a works-based mentality to receiving gifts, which can lead to feelings of condemnation. The Lord doesn't require that we attain a particular state before He grants a gift. We can't earn any particular spiritual gift any more than we can earn our own salvation. It's all of grace. However, we should humbly listen to our friends and receive their input about cultivating contentment – after all, the apostle Paul says that “there is great gain in godliness with contentment” (1 Tim. 6:6); we just shouldn't attach it to the expectation of a blessing.


We serve a gracious God Who delights in giving good gifts to His children. Rejoice with me, my friends, for I am happy.


 
Visit Math Help Boards for friendly, free and expert math help.

14 Comments:

At 4/08/2007 06:04:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, we are happy too, Adrian. :-) We look forward to welcoming you into our family. I will say that Hannah will think there should be some exclamation points in your post, but I'll let you slide. ;-) Congratulations to you both!

Love,
MG

 
At 4/08/2007 06:25:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! May the Lord be with you.

 
At 4/08/2007 07:53:00 PM , Blogger Susan said...

Awww. I'm so happy for you :-). Hehe.

 
At 4/08/2007 08:08:00 PM , Blogger Grace said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will have to agree with Mrs. Meg! Hannah would definitely think you need some exclamations!!! And I do too!!! (I think they are great!) Anyways.....
Glad y'all two have finally decided to get married (okay, so you might have known before now, but now you are engaged!)!! =D It would be nice to meet you before the wedding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =O
I am happy for you both! =)

Grace

 
At 4/08/2007 09:20:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment is more for Susan because I could not figure out how to leave a comment at her blog. And my comment is this: CONGRATULATIONS!

I was dying to say something Thursday night, because I could certainly guess what Adrian wanted to announce on Sunday morning. But I behaved myself, and pretended to be surprised when Adrian spoke this morning, even though he stole my sermons notes in the process. On Easter no less. Pretty funny really. (He returned them about 2 minutes into the message, once he discovered what he had done.)

Anyway, this is wonderful news, and may God bless you richly. Now set a date you two!

Warmly in Christ,
Pastor H.

 
At 4/09/2007 05:01:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! I forgot three things: *throws confetti* *does happy dance* and *hug* .... There! I feel beter. ;-)

Love,
MG

 
At 4/09/2007 08:49:00 AM , Blogger Elisabeth Black said...

Oh, this warms my heart and brings a smile to my face. Best wishes to you both!

 
At 4/09/2007 09:26:00 AM , Blogger Tammy C said...

I caqn't believe you guys waited almost a week to tell the blogging world of the big news.

Congratulations and may God be always with you both.

 
At 4/09/2007 11:18:00 AM , Blogger Susan said...

My blog has restricted comment features, due to nasty recurring comments (*sigh*), so that is why it was difficult for you to comment, Pastor Hutchinson. Thank you very much for the congratulations :-). I did think you suspected after talking with Adrian Wednesday night, and he laughingly related your response when you found out for sure. Adrian also told me he stole your sermon notes. Hehe.

 
At 4/09/2007 07:43:00 PM , Blogger Lydia H. said...

I figured an engagement announcement was on the way, only a matter of time. :)

The first thing is that a prudent wife is from the Lord. Finding a good wife is not a matter of luck or circumstance, for we serve a sovereign God. There is no way I could have met Susan and pursued her unless the Lord had opened the doors.

This was a great piece. I loved how you conveyed what God has taught you through the years in regards to marriage and relationships. It seems you are on very level footing with your thoughts in these areas. Many young men would do well to acquire the same, by God's grace of course. :)

We serve a gracious God Who delights in giving good gifts to His children. Rejoice with me, my friends, for I am happy.

I am so thrilled for both of you.
God's richest and abundant blessings upon you in the months and years to come.

~Lydia

 
At 4/11/2007 06:38:00 AM , Blogger une_fille_d'Ève said...

It's a relief to know that my Sister Dear finally found her half-orange. *whew* :-)

 
At 4/12/2007 10:37:00 PM , Blogger Alynn Deatsch said...

Adrian -

We are excited and thankful for God's grace in your life in providing a wonderful wife! We continue to pray for you both. BTW, a wedding in August would be quite handy for us . . . and for Arne's family.

Lots of love - Alynn and family

 
At 6/15/2007 08:24:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

First word - congratulations!

Second word - un-*freaking*- believable! You found someone who could tolerate you....may God have mercy on her soul.

 
At 7/15/2007 11:24:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adrian,
I just saw the news of your announcement at Lane's blog, so forgive my lateness to the party - many warm congratulations from the Heidmann family, and blessings on your marriage! God is GOOD!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home