Sunday, August 12, 2007

Literary Criticism



After finishing my Pride and Prejudice blog, which should happen soon, Lord willing, I'm been wondering what in tarnation I'm going to do with my Sunday afternoons. Then I started reading the introduction to Pride and Prejudice in my Everyman's Library Edition, and also the Afterward in my (well, really Susan's and my) Collector's Library Edition (Barne's and Noble). It hit me: both of those are a complete load of TRIPE!!! From there my thoughts went to how anyone (including Peter Conrad from Christ Church, Oxford, who wrote the Everyman's Library edition introduction) could possibly write such nonsense. From there I thought about how dangerous these men are. They are the so-called "intellectually elite" at the universities. They will influence our future leaders. What a grim picture!

So my next project is going to be to dive into the incredibly nasty world of modern literary criticism, and do what debunking I can. I rather think this job is going to be difficult, since a lot of what these sort of people write seems rather unintelligible compared with what the great authors of the past have written. Plato, for example, is far more intelligible than almost anyone who writes about Plato, which is yet another argument for going to the primary sources. As the Renaissance said, Ad fontes!

Hopefully, what will come out of all this will be something written by someone very ordinary (me, in this case) for the ordinary reader that will arm him against these dangerous notions that have, I think, even crept into the church.

So after Cucumberlandisland is done, look for that!

In Christ.


 
Visit Math Help Boards for friendly, free and expert math help.

2 Comments:

At 8/30/2007 10:47:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We got an update from Susan, how about an update from you. Are you getting nervous about the upcoming wedding or just too excited to be nervous? :)

 
At 9/03/2007 01:14:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah. what he/she said. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home